How did Mona Lisa feel? According to software, 83% happy and 9% disgusted.
What will this software be used for, anyway? Mapping a person's attitude at work? Objectively judging someone's emotional experience in a store? Decoding a terrorists face when boarding a plane? (A leer of contempt is an emotional tipoff for bombers, I read somewhere. It also indicates over 97% of the time a marriage's demise.)
Hmmm, imagine a word association test as customer service surveys:
- Think of Dr. Clouthier's patient care. Snap!
- Think of Dr. Clouthier's reception area. Snap!
- Imagine the amount of waiting time before treatment. Snap!
- Imagine how long you spend with the doctor. Snap!
- Think about your typical visit fee. Snap!
- Think about your interaction with the assistant. Snap!
- 90% of your sample, Dr. Clouthier, express happiness as their 76% dominant emotion when it comes to patient care
- 10% of your sample, express anger as the 95% dominant emotion
What do you think about that? Would people be willing to participate if the study was blinded? Would the recipient of the feedback value it?