Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Seth Godin States

Sine I'm on the marketing rant, mostly because I got feedback from someone I respect about my concern about product and dismissive attitude about packaging (and the product was me), I'm turning to the globe-headed, uber-marketer, Seth Godin.

First he contradicts (not really) my last post about packaging and says if the product ain't right, packaging don't matter. His example is the movie Snakes on a Plane:

I fear that people are missing a fundamental truth: just because people know who you are doesn't mean they're going to buy what you sell.

There's a difference between infamy (or celebrity) and the consumer's desire to buy.

I knew all about SOAP and had no desire whatsoever to go. I'm just not ready to sit in a theatre with a bunch of people afraid of airplanes.

I'm afraid we come back to something that marketers have been struggling with for a really long time--the best way to succeed is to have a really great product.

Second, he shares the list of What People Want. You know what? I'm including the whole list because I want to make sure you read them all.

The same thing everyone else is having, but different.

A menu where the prices aren't all the same.

More attention than the person sitting next to them.

A slightly lower price than anyone else.

A new model, just moments before anyone else, but only if everyone else is really going to like it.

A seat at a sold out movie.

Access to the best customer service person in the shop, preferably the owner.

Being treated better, but not too much better.

Being noticed, but not too noticed.

Being right.


Being right. If you only give people this one thing, they're sold. Words to live by.

No comments: