Monday, September 04, 2006

Flex-Time

Glenn Reynolds has a post up about flex-time and how workplace satisfaction correlates to making your own schedule. That's certainly been my experience. He says:

My first year as a law professor, I noticed that I was actually working more hours than when I was practicing law at a big firm. But it felt much less stressful, because I had much more control over what I was doing, when. As I've noticed before, I think that sort of control is also part of the appeal of self-emplyment and cottage industry.
Amen, Glenn!

Our criteria for life happiness:
  • Job helping people
  • Live near a cultural center
  • Low cost of living (can actually live on one income)
  • High standard of living
  • Job which doesn't require travel
  • Job where work hours are flexible
  • Control over schedule
  • Control over workplace environment
  • Intellectually stimulating
Everything we wanted related to work-life satisfaction came in Houston and working as Chiropractors. Now, there are a fair number in the medical profession who roll their eyes and turn up their noses at my profession for a variety of reasons. Go ahead and snort Traditional Doc, we in the Complementary Health professions are lovin' life: happy patients, positive outcomes (most all of the time), very low malpractice, cash-practice a possibility (no insurance companies) and a family-friendly schedule. Personally, I think it's jealousy.

What's not to love?

No comments: