Monday, December 18, 2006

Survive in the Wild

After the family in Oregon lost their husband and father to hypothermia, the hubby and I discussed survival methods. #1: There was almost universal agreement by experts--DON'T LEAVE THE SHELTER & STAY PUT. This is good information for my family. I married into a family full of men I call "The Happy Wanderers." I've not been able to find them at the airport baggage claim because they won't just stay put. Heaven help the rescue workers sent to find them in the wilderness.

Besides staying put, here are more strategies for survival.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff. Remember that shelter from cold is the #1 priority in winter. They emphasized the rule of 3's in an edible plants course I took also: You can survive maybe 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food.

Anonymous said...

Glad you posted this. Just talked with my husband about better preparing to survive if we need to.

Chalmers said...

I am more of a fly by the seat of my pants kind of guy. I am kind of annoyed by the search party though.

Take the dudes on Mount whatever in Oregon for example... climbing mountains in the wintertime is dangerous, why are taxpayers shelling out what probably amounts to millions of dollars to search for guys that were busy doing something that they knew might lead to death? The family that gets lost in a snow storm is one thing, morons that climb mountains in winter, or ice fisherman in springtime, let them rot, they knew the risks.

Melissa Clouthier said...

Chalmers,

There is another name for "fly by the seat of my pants kinda guy" lost in the wild: DEAD.

Anonymous said...

As someone who is married to a 'happy wanderer' I admit I had similar thoughts if my dear hubby was lost in the wild. No one would ever find him since locating him in an airport, mall, grocery store, our own home even, can be quite a task.

Jen