Thursday, November 29, 2007

Multiplying My Troubles

I've been relatively silent about home schooling mainly because we've been humming along, thinking deep thoughts and generally grooving on the togetherness, man. This week has brought more irritation than most and I'm not sure if it's hormonal or ants-in-pants or some combination of the above.

I'm feeling pressure to plow through the curriculum, to keep us on time, with the holidays quickly approaching. Most other home schoolers don't seem as compulsive as I am and their serene Zen quality kinda freaks me out. Don't you people realize that the future of your child is built one day at a time! Well, of course they do, they're just further along the road than I am and more experienced.

Today's placidity is being rippled by learning a new and difficult concept. Both kids are in tears which hardens my stance. This is math, not the Sudan. Why don't they have some perspective? I suppose I was frought over multiple multipliers when I was eight but I don't remember it and really don't care. This idea must be burned into the hard drive, or else. Or else math, for the rest of this year will be hell. Today the hard work of laying the challenging foundation must be laid and it's being bought with a price. My nerves are shot and their emotions are frazzled.

Zealous home schoolers and public schoolers and private schoolers rarely honestly assess the negatives of their choice. Home schooling while lovely (three months and were still relatively happy!) has it's drawbacks. In fact, it was the main one I was concerned with: time for me to think and do something for myself. Children are greedy little beings and would prefer non-stop, 24-hour interaction from their parents.

So, I'm happy overall but I need to figure out the rest of this balance thing. My answer today will be National Geographic TV watching in the afternoon. Educational and peace for me. Hopefully.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the kids (and mom) need a 'snow day'. I remember days like that. New and difficult concepts are just that---new and difficult.

Time for your hubby to teach one day so you can do some retail therapy!

Jen

Anonymous said...

I feel for you, Melissa! I had those same struggles when I was homeschooling. Hopefully tomorrow will go more smoothly. :)

hkh

Anonymous said...

Hats off to anyone that has the strength to do Home-schooling!!! One of my best friends home-schools and I admire the heck out of her. She truly NEVER gets any time away from her job as a Mommy, teacher and wife. When she talked with me about homeschooling, I had to really be honest with myself and realize that I did not feel I had the mental and emotional strength to do it. My nerves would have been..., well, they would have to lock me up, I think!:-)

I'll continue to pray for you. Hormones once a month can do a big number on us ladies. Hang in there!