Monday, March 24, 2008

I'm Baaaaaaack

Yeah, well, you probably didn't even know I was gone except for the radio silence on Saturday. Siena beat Vanderbilt so it was cool to see the upset live and in person. No beer at NCAA games. It was rather subdued. Sports needs beer. It's just axiomatic. Change the drinking age to 18, I say, and let the brewskies flow at college games. The world is already too dull. As an aside: Don't give me shit about this people. If you can vote for the president and kill yourself in service to your country, if you can get married and have kids, you should be able to drink a beer to numb the pain. Just sayin'.

Today, if you read one thing, this post by Rachel Lucas must be it. She talks about racism and race in general and it is excellent. I'm not even going to give you an excerpt, because then you'll think that I picked the best paragraph out of the piece (which I would) and then you'll think you've gotten the gist (which you wouldn't). So, just go read it. Her treatise explains why race will be a problem for a long time, probably forever, in America and the rest of the world.

I'm also putting up links for John Hawkins over at Conservative Grapevine. There's some good stuff there. I'm particularly pissed off at the weenie nature of Network Solutions who is currently being chicken assed bucklers to some psycho Hezbollah jihadits. Apparently a Dutch movie about the Quran pisses terrorists off and the American company can't take the heat. Grrrr..... Let freedom tinkle into oblivion one gutless decision at a time.

This hasn't been covered here, but I just wanted to pass along my love of and devotion to and fascination with Facebook. My goal is to have 1000 friends by the end of 2008 who I actually know, or get to know. The number is totally random, by the way. This weekend the girl who graduated first or second from my class at Chiropractic college found me. She was a complete brainiac and it should comfort you that people that smart are doctors. (I won't talk about the idiots at the bottom, but keep in mind that there are dumb doctors--the screening process isn't that good.) So, if you're on Facebook, make me your friend and send me a virtual cocktail. The nice thing is that they're calorie free. For giggles and grins, I just joined the joined the group Stuff Educated Black People Like. I have an educated black person for a friend. More than one actually. I'm curious if educated black people like different things, say, than educated white people or educated Latino people or educated mixed-race people.

I'll be around. Also will put together a post for John at Right Wing News, so check back.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just sayin' I agree with you Melissa

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I noticed you were gone... ;)

Anonymous said...

Change the drinking age to 18, I say, and let the brewskies flow at college games. The world is already too dull. As an aside: Don't give me shit about this people. If you can vote for the president and kill yourself in service to your country, if you can get married and have kids, you should be able to drink a beer to numb the pain. Just sayin'.

Heard the same reasoning when the voting and drinking age was lowered to 18 back in the aftermath of The Sixties (TM), Doc. Except then the phrasing was "If you're old enough to Die in VIETNAM...".

And a comment whose source I can't remember:

"The Baby Boomers -- who lowered the drinking age to 18 so THEY could drink, then raised it again so WE couldn't."

Anonymous said...

Thank you for linking to Rachel, excellent article

Anonymous said...

Melissa, I just read Rachel's post and it is excellent! I'm not sure that the issue of race will ever go away in the near future. ~vj

Sister Honey Bunch/Judi maloney said...

I really appreciated that article by Rachel too. Spot on, IMO.

(Thanks for linking to us last week. You rock, sistah!)