Saturday, April 05, 2008

Stupid Professor Suing Note Service

When I was in chiropractic college, I ran a note service. I paid students to take and type notes, published them weekly and students bought them. It was fantastic for everyone, although it was a lot of work and profit margins were tight. Well, now some nutty professor is suing the note service company for copyright infringement. Glenn Reynolds calls it the "DUMBEST COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT CLAIM YET". No kidding.

I never understood why profs hated note service. Most of them were disorganized wrecks and the notes helped students. Some barely spoke English and the note service gave the students a fighting chance to understand the concept. I'm still shocked I passed Biochemistry. I didn't understand one word my professor said. Thank God for Daryl Luplow who was a genius and managed to translate his genius into language the rest of us could understand in his clearly written notes. We all passed because of him. The professor did nothing to forward learning.

Probably, the professors don't want to be known as being so predictable that someone can take notes one year and ten years later still use the same notes. It makes everyone question what it is, exactly, they're doing. My histology prof used 20 year old notes. Granted, histology won't be changing any time soon, so why would the notes change?

No comments: