Saturday, February 25, 2006

Ports Away...Enemies Within Our Gates?

Have you noticed my silence about the ports being run by the UAE issue? With everyone screaming about it, and seemingly so little solid information to be had about it, I have refrained from entering the melee.

Well. The two arguments seem to be thus:

  1. The UAE aided and abetted the criminals who terrorized us. They are Islamic. They have every reason to allow money, arms, and very bad things into the heart of the enemy--US. Therefore, no company with Islamic Middle Eastern ties should ever be allowed to handle such a sensitive position--ever. Or until the war against the Islamist is won--if ever.
  2. The UAE has been a loyal ally to the West in the War on Terror. By allowing this business deal to go forth we demonstrate that we are against Terrorists in particular and not Muslims in general. The business deal was between the British and the UAE and we have no legal reason to stand in its way. And, the U.S. will make lots of money. People who are against this deal are xenophobic simpletons.
What was my first reaction? Alarm. Why? Because, like every other American, I get the sneaking suspician that for most of the world of Islam the notion of a "moderate" is like the notion of a "conservative" in Rhode Island or Massachusetts--even the most "moderate" is extreme by anyone else's definition.

What was my second reaction? (And this came quickly on the heels of the first.) Dismay. Why was I hearing about this deal from Chuck Anti-War Schumer first? It stinks. What was his motivation? He has been very consistent about his position about the War on Terror--against it. Against the troops. Against any security measures. Against Bush. Ahhhh, there we are. Bush wants the deal. Schumer is against Bush. But that doesn't necessarily make the deal bad. In fact, since I trust Bush more than I'll ever trust Schumer, it makes me rethink my first reaction.

What was my third reaction? Anger. Will this President and Administration EVER take a strong position and L-E-A-D? Oh yes, the War on Terror and all that. The lilly-livered Harriet Miers decision. The knee-jerk airline security decision. The budget and debt and gluttonous pigginess legislation and NOT ONE veto. And now he would veto legislation that would stop the port deal? Is he kidding? No, he's not. That's one thing about G.W.: he means what he says.

Meanwhile, back at the liberal ranch, the talking heads and pundits and know-better-than you newscasters refuse, REFUSE, to report news. Most people, unless they have the internet, have yet to see the "offending" cartoons. The news has become one big propaganda tool--for the enemy. No fires in Paris seen--and it's still not over. No defense of Denmark--a liberal minded democratic country, who by the way, is our ally. Oh, that's right, our ally....so an American liberal's enemy. Because Bush is BAD!

And then, our civil liberties are being chipped away at one peck at a time. Like the Noonan piece--it feels like being in a communist republic to get on a plane these days. The utter nonsense of TERRORIZING common citizens by bureaucratic boobs. ARGGGGH! I always go back to High School, the microcosm of the world that it was, where the Pinkertons would give the common kid without a yellow hall pass shit for having to go the bathroom while the known drug dealers and wastoids were let be because the Pinkertons were scared of them!

Yup, we'll be in a safe U.S.A.: safe from litter, safe from smoke, safe from nail files, safe from HURT FEELINGS, but we will be a wide open book for every half-baked Islamic, Neonazi, White-Supremist, fill-in-the-blank CRAZY LOON because "everyone is beautiful in his own way". In short, we'll be EUROPE.

So back to the port deal. How do I feel? I feel like the President needs to give ALL the information. EVERY LAST BIT OF IT. I think the press needs to check for accuracy. I think that Congress must verify.

Then, the stupid, pick-any rules that are torturing (oh, it's torture by any liberal's definition) common Americans need to be thrown out--NOW!

Americans need to see that we are safer--the statistics. Plots thwarted. They need to see Osama CAUGHT NOW! I don't give a flying flip if it will make life hard with Pakistan. Bin Laden must be strung up.

Americans need to see their government stand up for freedom of speech. The President needs to unequivocally condemn the actions of terrorizing Islamofascists. His courage will again put the presses equivocating in stark contrast.

America must appear SO STRONG that when the idea of a UAE company working in our ports doesn't offend common sense, but rather causes people to pause and look at the facts rationally.

There is a good reason the American people, myself included, question this deal and it is not because I'm xenophobic. I'm government-phobic. I'm law-phobic. I'm bureaucrat-phobic. I do not trust anyone in our government right now to do anything but what is good for them politically. Our safety seems a distant dream.

The big, bloated, ponderous, layered, removed, rarified, self-loving, self-indulgent, out-of-touch, morally bankrupt, thing we call government in the U.S. disgusts me. I had really hoped the Republicans would do it different. I had hoped.

My biggest problem? It's not trusting the UAE. In fact, I'm pretty sure how much to trust them. It's trusting my elected officials to make sure the bureaucrats point their multitudinous weapons where they should be pointed--and that's not at the average American citizen.

Whether this Port Deal goes through or not, the fact remains: Washington elites including and especially the Press trust and protect Islamic madmen more than the average citizen. Enough is enough.

No comments: