Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Depressed Moms: Moms Get Better, Kids Do Too

This research identifies MOM as Change Agent for her kids. If Mama's happy, everyone's happy. If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. AMEN! Common sense proved once again. It's the solution that the researchers come to that I find troubling. Getting more moms on drugs to treat depression avoids a real, solid solution for the next generation. Helping moms handle stress better so they avoid depression sets a real example for the kids. While the kids may be happy if mom is happy via pharmacology, the kid's solution to tough times will be just like mom's when they grow up: drugs, man.

When I told a Psychiatrist friend of mine that if a child client does not get better working with me within one to two visits, I work with the mother exclusively, he was shocked. Certainly he doesn't practice this way, but to me it's the best way.

No comments: