Monday, March 06, 2006

My Future as A Futurist

Well, my future as a futurist is quickly being called into question. Oscar night proved to be a loser for me. Only the Best Actor prediction came true. Congratulations Phillip Seymor Hoffman! Didn't you love his dedication to his mother? What a great thing that she could see him get this. His speech gave me pause: would I rather have noteriety for writing the next Great American Novel or would I rather have my child win noteriety for writing the next Great American Novel? You know what? I had to answer that I'd rather have my child--it would mean so much more. Isn't parenthood amazing? Because I think I might be one of most selfish people on the planet.

Perhaps the Futurist thing is a problem because I tried my predicting abilities on a profession that I a) don't really care about and b) don't care enough to know more about, especially lately. Oh well.

The Oscars, which I haven't seen in years, was predictable. Except for the two best Lead Actor categories, the speeches were laced with self-congratulatory, "I'm so glad to be a part of the Academy", "We don't mirror society, we create society!" (that's what I'm worried about) statements. Oh please....

That's right, all the doctors, police, firemen, small business owners, technology people, etc. impact the world in ways so much less meaningful than these preening peacocks. Yuck.

While the creative process is awe-inspiring no matter where the application, not one movie this year had the awe-inspiring beauty of a theme as simple as a Matisse painting. These movies were all reflected ugliness, but these artists "painted" what they saw. It's their vision that's the problem. They can't see a beautiful future.

No comments: