Tuesday, April 04, 2006

How to Win Friends and Influence People

The worst boss I ever had was sent to a Dale Carnegie program because he was a despicable person and eveyone hated him. You think I exaggerate? In the twenty one years that he worked at the company he went through 22 assistants. He sexually harrassed every one, including me, "accidentally touching" my right breast. What an idiot!

This is how much times had changed: the President of Human Resources for the whole company (nationwide Architectural/Engineering firm) and I happened to be in the bathroom at the same time when she was in town. I hadn't told anyone I worked with because I figured that he would have been fired by now if anyone really cared and I needed the job. I spilled the beans to her. She said that they had known what he was up to but that no one would go on the record because they were afraid of him. She was absolutely enraged and glad to finally have someone who would say something. Twenty years this guy pulled his stunts unimpeded. Argh!

They put him on probation. One day he said to me, "Do you know what I'm going through? What my family has gone through?" I'm like, you're kidding right? You scare everyone you work with (only weeks before the boob grab, he came back from his Friday Liquid Lunch and challenged a 30 year old engineer to a fist fight--he had been giving the guy crap for having an earring) and have for years and you're the victim? Yup.

Anyway, this Dutch Reformed Church Elder alcoholic, took a Dale Carnegie seminar and it did bubkus. However, Dale was a smart guy and his points still matter so go to the link and read them.

No comments: