Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Mel Gibson Apologizes

According to the New York Times, Gibson says:

The new statement, issued today, followed an earlier apology that acknowledged “despicable” remarks, but never specifically mentioned their anti-Jewish tenor.

“There is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark,” Mr. Gibson said in today’s statement.

He continued, in part: “I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a D.U.I. charge. I am a public person, and when I say something, either articulated and thought out, or blurted out in a moment of insanity, my words carry weight in the public arena.”

The star went on to say he wished “to take it one step further,” and meet with Jewish leaders for a “one-on-one discussion.”


That makes everything better right? The Anti-defamation League's leader Abraham Foxman says this:

“This is finally an apology,” said Abraham H. Foxman, the national director of the Anti-Defamation League. “We’re glad that he owned up that what he said was not only offensive, but bigoted. When he’s finished with alcohol rehabilitation, we will be ready and willing to meet with him and to help him get rid of his other addiction, which is prejudice.”

Readers of my blog will know that I am staunchly pro-Israel and for what it is worth, pro-Jew (whatever that means). For me, that means that I like Jewish people as much as anyone else.

Anyway, while Gibson's statements were offensive and stupid, that an apology and hand-holding will make it all go away is typical PC goofiness. Either he believes that or not, and who really cares? He's an actor. I don't believe whatever he says, because, well, he's an actor. He can act any way and say anything with conviction.

This guy is happy because Mel has been "anti-British". Buwahahaha! This is comical.

PunditGuy's take is nuanced and says succinctly how I feel.

No comments: