Sunday, October 29, 2006

Seasonal Affect Disorder

Hi, my name is Melissa and I'm S.A.D. To some of you, that won't be ground-breaking news. I have always suffered with Seasonal Affect Disorder. Being a former Michigander, I suffered. A lot. The darkness, the gray, the sludge and snow, the shortened days that last for months in Michigan made for a miserable me.

When I moved to California, it was absolutely stunning to see the sun shine so consistently. I would marvel to friends, "Doesn't it seem weird that it never rains? No wonder people are so weird out here." After a year, it didn't seem weird. It seemed wonderful. Still, I'd have a couple days of sadness around February sun or rain.

Dr. Helen reports her suffering with S.A.D. She asks if everyone even believes it's a real thing. Psychosomatic or not, the feelings are real. Some people at her blog recommend a complicated array of lighting--especially first thing in the morning.

The best recommendation, one that I concur with, is taking Omega-3 Fatty Acids. Plus, those will help Dr. Helen's weak heart. Omega-3s are fish oils and are especially rich in Sushi. As a Sushi lover, that's good news. Or, for those who like to take their medicine straight: two tablespoons of cod liver oil, morning and night, should do the trick. They have some now that doesn't taste so bad.

How do you know if you're low in Omega-3s? One way: you easily burn in the summer sun (never getting a tan, going straight to red). Another way, you suffer with cramping around your period and during athletic endeavors.

Get in the sunshine, get your Omega 3s, surround yourself with light--especially first thing in the morning and move South (hey, it worked for me). S.A.D. solved!

No comments: