Friday, November 30, 2007

Music Downloads for 2007

Like books, my taste in music is rather eclectic. My recent downloads from iTunes have included everything from Justin Timberlake to Rostropovich. It was cheaper to buy all of Rostropovich's Bach cello solos, so I did that. He's better than Yo Yo Ma in my opinion, or at least equally as good. He's also a composer himself.

Justin Timberlake got the pick and choose treatment. He writes the best revenge songs--he has a knack for capturing the feeling of longing and anger simultaneously with a dash of schadenfreude thrown in. I like What Goes Around Comes Around.

There's some Johnny Cash. The kid's favorite is A Boy Named Sue.

The best version of Silent Night is actually covered by Five for Fighting. You absolutely MUST listen to it. Like unto it, is Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. It's backed by a ukulele which is quite possibly the most under appreciated instrument ever. Well, that and the accordion. Oh, and I like Josh Groban's treatment of O Holy Night (although he bugs me generally).

Alicia Key's new album is great. Her voice sounds somewhat strained this time around. I hope she's protecting her voice. I like No One and Lesson Learned.

It was interesting to note that Journey is still in the top 100 on iTunes. I have their greatest hits. For all the complaining by musicians, I have to believe that they're making money they wouldn't have before. I am the perfect example of a consumer unwilling to buy a whole CD for one song, but have regularly used iTunes. I don't want to steal. I want choice. So there are some older artists I listen to now like Queen, Bon Jovi, Van Halen and some other big hair bands. Why not? They're fun and get the blood pumping. Oh, and pretty much anything by Prince. My brother and I argued about I Would Die For You. To me, it's the story of salvation and sacrificial love for our fellow man wrapped up in R&B. To him, it's Prince' narcissistic tendencies writ large. It's probably both and reminds me that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Poor Amy Winehouse, such a talent is so rare and she's killing herself with heroin. It's sad. She addresses her pathology best in Back to Black which is better than the more popular Rehab.

Michael Bublé is great for a dinner party playing behind witty and incisive conversations. I like his version of Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow and of course, Home. My favorite version of Little Drummer Boy is by Bob Seger. The contrast of his gravelly voice with the sweetness of the topic is just well, light-hearted. When he belts out, "I was a poor boy, too", I'm reminded of Jesus' precarious beginning and outsider status.

Speaking of 80's music.... We weren't, but I'm going back to it for a minute. The best bedroom song ever is Sign Your Name Across My Heart by Terrence Trent D'Arby. Enjoy!

For your listening pleasure:

3 comments:

kal said...

Love Johnny Cash & Buble!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the music; it was beautiful

Melissa Clouthier said...

kal,

I didn't get Johnny Cash for a long time. Now, I do. I had to grow into him.