Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Michelle Obama's Heart

Sigh. I don't like the candidates this year. And I don't like the Democratic candidate's wife and husband. They are just lame on so many levels it's fatiguing. One week it's Bill Clinton shooting off at the mouth. The next week it's Michelle Obama. She calls to mind a scripture in Matthew 12:34:

Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.


Michelle Obama's heart appears to be filled with America loathing. Gateway Pundit reports what she said:
"It's easier to hold on to your own stereotypes and misconceptions, it makes you feel justified in your own ignorance...That's AMERICA"

Michelle Obama
Campaigning for Change at University of South Carolina
January, 2008
Oops!... She did it again!
Michelle Obama bashes America

I watched the video and as usual, it seems rather benign. She is admonishing students to interact more on campus. I remember the self-imposed segregation at my small college. It never seemed like racism or exclusivity to me and it didn't happen all the time. It struck me more as finding people like yourself with similar experiences and finding a connection. Still, it was a color divide sometimes. However, it didn't bug me personally because I counted many in the "black group" as friends.

Obama frames this issue as one of ignorance and stereotypes. I didn't feel that the "black group" was ignorant or steeped in stereotypes any more than I felt the greater majority of white people were ignorant and steeped in stereotypes. It seemed a matter of comfort. And yes, sometimes it's good to push past a person's comfort zone. But no, I don't think that Americans feel generally "justified in their ignorance". What a sweeping statement to make about America. Sure it describes some Americans, but all of America?

And if integration and stepping outside of the comfort zone is so important, why does Ms. Obama go to a black church teaching black superiority, hate toward Jews and weird conspiracy theories designed to inspire paranoia of America? You'd think she'd go to a multiracial church where universal values like love, forgiveness, reconciliation and charity are taught.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bottom line: The Obama's have no business in the White House. Period.!!!!

David Foster said...

"It's easier to hold on to your own stereotypes and misconceptions, it makes you feel justified in your own ignorance...That's AMERICA"...there's a whole genre of media and blog commentary that goes like this. The general pattern is "in American culture, bad thing XXX is accepted." Somehow, the writers never share their extensive cross-cultural research that proves XXX is *more* prevalent here than in an array of other countries.

Anonymous said...

I started these primaries with enthusiam and was looking forward to the election. Now I'm just exhausted and completely disheartned. There is NO way that I will vote for Obama. I don't like or trust him. I think he has no integrity nor do I trust him. He reminds me of an oily salesman. Besides has anyone noticed how badly he does under pressure?? Whenever he answers a question, he puts his foot in his mouth, like with that "typical white people" slip. He can do a mean speech, but a candid answer?? hell no. So imagine this guy negotiating with international figures...we'll be at war in a NY minute. Besides I could never vote for a racist and that's what Obama and his family are.

Anonymous said...

Anon.9:34 - I agree with you whole heartedly that the Obama's are racist. They project their own feelings on the rest of us.