Sunday, January 15, 2006

Computer Knows Your Emotions

How is this helpful? Like people, I suppose computers will freeze up even more once they know, without a doubt, that we hate them. Right now, our computers slave away in ambivalence. Does my master like me? Does he hate me? I guess I'll keep working then.

But once all doubt is removed, we're in trouble. The computer knows were angry at him (her?). What does the computer do? He either apologizes (rarely--especially if he is of the Y chromosome gender) or more likely he plots revenge. This scenario is wholly unacceptable to me.

My computer is a big enough pain in the arse without having to worry that he will "mistakenly" delete a very important paper or project or client or photo because he's angry that I'm angry.

"Oops, there goes that .jpg file."

"Ooops, not really a fan of Tina Turner." (Suddenly songs mysteriously disappear.)

"Oooooops, maintaining that firewall seems like just too much trouble these days."

Or even worse, what if my computer displays emotion like one of those stupid little dolls or robots that were popular a few years ago? My son had a robot given by a well-meaning Aunt that would cry if it didn't get it's teeth brushed. If he spent too much time alone he would yell louder and louder. It freaked me OUT! No, way! My life is already too complicated. Would I have to deal with a weepy keyboard or hard drive? Would I have to soothe frayed nerves and be a bridge over troubled computer waters? Would my computer pout and stomp his feet in frustration at my stupidity--"I am so sick of this moron's misspellings! I damn the spell-checker to heck. All correspondence henceforth shall be laden with garbled grammar and non-sensical words."?

The whole technology is fraught. If this idea goes too far (and artificial intelligence including talking gizmos is way too far), I'm going back to pencil and paper, period. The only screams of frustration I want to hear are my own. My computer can keep his opinions, feelings and ideas to himself.

No comments: