Friday, February 23, 2007

Abortion & Presidential Candidates

In a perfect world, every baby conceived would have his or her right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness honored. In a perfect world....

In the real world, a bad Supreme Court decision finds imaginary rights and prevents the states the freedom to make law. Roe and abortion hang like guillotines over the necks of Republican candidates. Mitt Romney, I think, will lose his political head about this issue. His sudden pro-Life flip is politically expedient and unprincipled. Maybe conservatives will give him a pass for this. Somehow, I doubt it.

Rudy Guiliani has taken a different tack. This one elucidated by Rand Simberg:

"I have stated a personal belief in a woman's right to choose. But I also have a strong belief in judges who follow the Constitution. I admire George Bush's choice of Supreme Court judges--Roberts and Alito. I wish that I'd made them myself, and I hope to have an opportunity to make similar, and (if that's possible) even better ones, who will interpret the Constitution in the manner intended, and not make new law out of old parchment, no matter how worthy the goal. While I personally favor a woman's right to choose, I think that Roe v. Wade was a mistake, and that this should be a matter for the states to determine. You can be sure that, if elected, this will be the criterion that I use to select judicial nominees, rather than a desire for a particular outcome that I happen to personally favor."
This is an intellectually honest position. It gives power to the people, where the power belongs. I think people, even conservatives will buy it. Do you?

I would vote for Rudy and his abortion position as stated above.
Yes, I am a conservative
Yes, I am a libertarian
Yes, I am a democrat
No, I am conservative
No, I am a libertarian
No, I am a democrat
  
pollcode.com free polls

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you mean Mr Giuliani has taken a different "tack", not tact.

MaxedOutMama said...

I can't do the poll because I don't know how to categorize myself politically.

But I do find Guiliani's position acceptable. I am suspicious of Romney's.

Melissa Clouthier said...

Sorry, Mama,

I didn't know how else to categorize people. The Republicans seem to be made up of those who want "less government" and are more permissive socially and those who are religious conservatives and a bunch in between.

The Democrats, for all their individualism, are rather monolithic voting-wise. They are for bigger government for their constituency. That gets generalized into "big government". Oh! And no military force, ever--unless it's for humanitarian reasons that don't benefit the U.S. strategically in any way. In that case, the military is totally awesome, dude!

Not so funnily enough, the Republicans are giving the Dems a run for their money big-government wise. That's turning everyone off--whether conservative, or libertarian. Interestingly, the Republicans get no credit for their big-gov ways from the Left.

Washington turns politician's brains to mush. They try to cater to those who will hate them no matter what. Go figure.