Wednesday, February 21, 2007

American Idol Guy Edition

Having never committed to a reality show, I decided to start watching American Idol this season. Why not see what all the fuss is about?

Far from being the mean madman I hear so much about, Simon seemed to be the only one with a lick of sense last night. He is no harsher than some of my music teachers. And for those who have been in music at all (and some of these people obviously haven't) it can be completely brutal. In fact, why anyone wouldn't take what Simon says (ha!) seriously is the marvel to me. He has a gift finding talent and he doesn't condescend to the singers or the audience.

Paula Abdul is taking muscle relaxants and pain killers. I have not examined her in person, but good grief, the woman is a slurring mess. I chuckled when Simon said, like three times, "I think what Paula is trying to say is...." I took his intervention as kindness. She being doped and stupid, took it as him trying to be superior.

Ryan Secrest must be pounded like the bug he is.

The guys? The show was Too Dang Long! Two hours for twelve guys singing for 18 minutes? Ugh. They were nervous wrecks and hardly a one of them could carry a tune. And their song selection? Snooze.

2 comments:

kal said...

I despise American Idol and most of the "music" heard on the show. Stopped watching LONG ago. But as for your views on the show's personalities, YES, YES, and YES. Right on, Melissa.

Anonymous said...

Never have seen it even once. I know many that watch it though.