Thursday, February 22, 2007

Home Schooling Socialization

One of my concerns about home schooling, besides the fact that I'd be the teacher, is that my kids wouldn't get the variety of subjects--art, music, sports, and other group-oriented activities. I don't worry about the vague "socialization" issue. First, that assumes that school kids are social. Most I see are asocial. But I must say, some of the kids who come out of home schooling are socially strange. And I wonder about their confidence level in a competitive environment when they've never been around people to compete against.

Kim Du Toit says:

6. We wanted to control the content of what they read, or saw on TV or on the Internet. This was especially true during the pre- and early-teen years, so that we could teach them right from wrong.

Yeah, there’s a lot of control in all the above. That used to be called “parenting”, and we’re not ashamed of it. Kids are not adults: they need guidance, rules and regulation, and just as importantly, they need to know why the rules and regulations exist.

So if at some point in the future they screw up, or make mistakes, at least they’ll make them knowing that the responsibility was entirely their own, and that ignorance was not a factor.

Well, I'm not sure as a parent I'll feel less responsible for my kid's outcome because he's a public-school product. I just keep coming back to that vague weirdness thing. Maybe what is weird is unadulterated sweetness that never got beat out of them.

Via Dr. Helen

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have to agree on the home schooling issue. I've checked into it, but I don't feel qualified to teach my children at home. I also want them to have exposure to other children. Those kids that I know that are home schooled, really are a bit different. Smart but they do seem to be lacking something.

One of my friends teaches both her kids and the little boy has ADHD issues among other things. He had a hard time in school. I admire my friend for having the strength to do it. Honestly, I love my children but I do need a break from them. When they are in school, I get that break.

It also seems to me that "strangers" seem to have a different effect on children and their attention span seems to goes to a different level. (why is that?) :-(

My husband and I will rather consider private school if the public school will prove not to meet our needs for them. So far both the kids are doing wonderful and we have no complains...other then homework is too much, I think.

Chalmers said...

Let me just say I am offended that you people keep calling we huddled masses of unwashed home schooled, strange. :-) In truth, there is certainly a balance. I think that I turned out ok, but I am mildly retarded, so my self-image may be skewed.

In all seriousness, there is a time and place for home schooling. In the DFW area, the private schools provide a different set of concerns (black tar heroine, [i]cheese[/i], etc). There is no substitute for effective parenting.

Oh, and by the way, many home schooled kids are weird because they are brain washed. For some reason squirrelly parents like to drive the same weirdness into their kids.

Anonymous said...

Dear Chalmers, please don't take offense! It was only a discussion. Respecting others and their choices is still more important. Sorry, did not mean to offend!

Anonymous said...

Nothing kills confidence like the backstabbing, chiding and physical assaults and threats that go on in public schools. My husband and I both get eat up by office politics everytime because our school socialization taught us to sit down shut up and do your work. Drawing any attention to yourself in public schools gets you tormented. So we learned to keep our heads down, it has been a liaibilty throughout our respective careers. What kids learn in schools is what the kids learned in Lord of The Flies. I will just have my son read the book.